Sunday, July 29, 2012

DC in my WC

So...we went to Washington DC in June for two reasons. First, to attend the UMDF conference and advocate for Mitochondrial Disease on Capitol Hill and second, for a family vacation. If you've ever been to DC you know how much you have to walk...EVERYWHERE. Luckily, I knew this ahead of time and for the FIRST time I took my wheelchair on vacation. It was a psychological hurdle. Am I handicapped? What does that mean anyway? Years ago, I naively thought that wheelchairs were used only by people who literally could not walk, that and the injured or elderly. I'm not injured or elderly and I can walk, even run, but I find myself in DC in my WC (wheelchair).

I am purposely calling it MY wheelchair to get used to the sound of that. I bought it at a second hand store in my home town last year. I used it when we went to the fair last summer for the first time. It saved me from exhaustion and I was able to do everything I wanted without pooping out or having to recover for days. I found gratitude in that, but the wheelchair felt so foreign and strange. I can walk. I wonder what people are thinking? Does it surprise people when I stand up? Will they let me ride the rides when the see me roll up to them in a chair? Am I lazy? Am I that sick?

I had the "opportunity" to take my chair on another vacation with some friends earlier this spring and I just couldn't get myself to do it. But I knew, I KNEW, I would have to befriend myWC for DC.

I had the same questions in DC that I had at the fair last summer and more. But overall, it again was a blessing. I was able to do so much more and enjoy my family and vacation because I used my energy wisely.

I had an interesting experience I want to ponder with you. We were stopped on a sidewalk ready to cross the street when a family came up and stood by us. The mom looked at me, smiled and said "I am so jealous of you and that ride right now. You are so lucky." I smiled and said I could understand her. But her comment (meant to be kind) was naive. Think about it for a second...if someone is in a wheelchair, they live with restrictions, limits, disease, aging, frustration, it's not a fun ride.

It's not a fun ride. I wished I had taken the time to hand her a card I have with Mito information on it. I wished I had taken the time to say, "I understand, but I'd rather be walking." I want my body to do what I want it to do, and for a control freak like myself, being pushed around isn't a fun ride.

On the flip side, it is a blessing. I saw DC with my family...in my WC. For that I am so grateful! I wonder what others using assistive devices feel and think. I know I'm not alone in my thoughts. Feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment